Greggs is to open 800 shops for takeaways on Thursday, including 11 in Cardiff.
The popular bakery chain famous for its vegan rolls will finally open after closing its doors in March. In recent weeks, Greggs had trialled a partial reopening, starting with 20 outlets in the Newcastle area.
Ahead of lockdown, Greggs introduced a number of safety measures to limit the number of customers in its outlets. When they reopen on Thursday, they’ve implemented additional measures for customers and staff.
- Only one adult per household will be allowed in the shop. Children can join them if needed
- Watch out for the floor markings to guide you around the shop at a safe distance
- Please keep a 2 m distance from others
- To reduce contact, they’re only accepting card payments at the moment
- Greggs say they always operate to the highest standards when it comes to handwashing and hygiene but they’ve increased this focus
- Each shop has introduced 30-minute cleans for all equipment and key touchpoints
- All Team Members have undergone Social Distancing training prior to returning to work
- Behind the counter, they’ve marked out zones and are asking their teams to follow specific “roles” to avoid crossing into another person’s station
- All colleagues have been provided with PPE that they can use if they wish to do so
The bakery chain, which has more than 2,050 locations across UK, says it plans to reopen all its remaining shops from early July.
The Greggs in Cardiff opening this week
- BBC Building, Central Square, CF10 1EP
- 23 Caroline Street, CF10 1FG Cardiff
- 4 St Johns Street, CF10 1GJ (Just Eat & Click+Collect only)
- St Davids Shopping Centre, CF10 2DQ
- 140 Queen St, CF10 2GP
- Penarth Road, CF11 8EF
- Thornhill Road, CF14 6RG
- The Avenue Retail Park, Newport Road, CF23 9AF
- Regent Trade Park, Cardiff Bay, CF24 5PF
- 34 Queen St, CF10 2BY
- Capital Shopping Park, Leckwith, CF11 8EG
They will be serving a limited menu, but it looks favourites from their breakfast and sandwiches menus. You’ll be glad to know that Vegan sausage rolls are back, along with steak bakes and beacon & cheese wraps. You can also treat yourself to a range of sweet treats including biscuits, cookies and mini gluten free brownies.
Greggs chief executive Roger Whiteside said: “Looking forward, although great uncertainty remains, we are excited to be resuming our service for many customers this week.
“I want to thank all of our 25,000 colleagues for their support in getting us to this point.”
View the full list of Greggs opening across the UK this week here.