My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Council set to improve Cardiff flood defences

Cardiff flood defences

A flood defence system, designed to protect properties in south-east Cardiff from rising sea levels for the next 100 years is set to be approved by Cardiff Council.

Construction of the scheme, 85% of which will be paid for by the Welsh Government, with Cardiff Council contributing the remaining 15%, is set to begin early next year, with work due to be completed by the latter end of 2025.

When built, it is expected to comprise:

  • A rock barrier along the coast to manage erosion and high tides
  • Sheet piling along the Lamby Way roundabout
  • Maintained earth embankments, and
  • Rock protection for Lamby Way Bridge

And it will:

  • Manage the flood risk to 1,116 residential and 72 non-residential properties, plus the Rover Way traveller site,
  • Provide defence against a one-in-200-year severe weather event, including allowing for the effects of climate change.

When the plan was first proposed in June 2021, the anticipated cost was lower than the current position. A report going before the Council’s Cabinet next Wednesday, September 28th, explains the increase is due to the need for larger coastal defences, longer stretches of the Rhymney River needing protection and costs increasing globally for materials and many related aspects of the works.

The plan aims to minimise the effect on wildlife and includes the improvement of the walking route forming part of the Wales Coastal Path and links to existing public rights of way.

Cllr Caro Wild, the Council’s Cabinet member for Climate Change, welcomed the report.

“As a coastal city, Cardiff is at risk from flooding, especially as the sea level is rising and storms are becoming more common,” he said.

“We obviously need to prioritise strengthening our coastal flood defences, especially as there are residential properties in areas that are at risk.

“The city also needs to act quickly and seriously in joining the global efforts to urgently slow down climate change. This will need to include efforts from the council, business and all of us as we try to reduce the amount of carbon we produce.”

Council Officers have recommended Councillors approve the plans, to commit a 15% contribution to the cost and to sanction officers to go ahead with the work.