HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is reminding customers that time is running out to register for Self Assessment.
Anyone submitting a Self Assessment (SA) return for the first time – including High Income Child Benefit Charge customers – will need to register for SA by 5 October so that they can complete their return by 31 January.
If customers aren’t sure if they need to do Self Assessment they should go to www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return
Those who are new to the process can visit HMRC for online webchats, live webinars, YouTube videos and social media support which can be accessed at any time, and on any device, to help them fill in and file their returns.
People that need to complete a tax return:
- earned more than £2,500 from renting out property
- received, or their partner received, Child Benefit and either of them had an annual income of more than £50,000
- received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income, for example from tips or commission
- are self-employed sole traders
- are employees claiming expenses in excess of £2,500
- have an annual income over £100,000
- earned income from abroad that they need to pay tax on
The deadline for 2019-2020 Self Assessment returns is 31 January 2021.