Well folks, the bittersweet end of lease clean has arrived! I know, these walls hold so many amazing memories. But your next adventure awaits after this final cleaning battle.
To get that security deposit back in full, the rental has to be returned in tip-top shape – we’re talking spotless! Don’t leave a speck behind or it’ll cost you.
Doing a high-quality end of tenancy cleaning on your own takes forever. Make it easier on yourself and tackle each room with a plan. Here are my best tips for a spotless rental handover:
Start Early! I Mean It
Listen, don’t save all the cleaning for move out day! You’ll be under stress and rushed. Begin clearing clutter and deep cleaning each room at least 2-3 weeks early. This gives you time to really make it shine.
Build Your Cleaning Checklist
Stay organized with a detailed cleaning checklist by room. Jot down tasks for each space like “scrub kitchen grout” and “dust bedroom fan blades”. Check off as you go – so satisfying!
Work Room by Room
Don’t dart all over – that’s exhausting. Tackle one room at a time for best results. Fully complete each space before moving to the next. This helps you stay focused.
Top to Bottom, People!
I hope you’re listening when I say clean top to bottom! Dust up high first, then scrub down low. No drips on that freshly mopped floor!
Grab the Right Cleaning Potions
Arm yourself with a powerful cleaning arsenal. We’re talking all-purpose cleaners, heavy duty degreasers, grout brushes, microfiber cloths – the works! Don’t skimp on the supplies.
Pamper the Windows
Windows get grimy – make them shine! Use glass cleaner and a squeegee on the panes. Carefully vacuum and dust blinds or launder drapes. Sparkling!
Scrub That Grungy Grout
Bathroom and kitchen tiles need extra special attention. Get grout brushes and really scrub out that built-up gunk and mildew. Rinse and let dry fully.
Clean Inside Appliances
Appliances collect hidden gunk. For the oven, carefully scrape off caked on bits before scrubbing inside. Pull out the fridge and stove to clean behind.
Scan Walls and Floors Closely
Inspect walls and floors for any scratches, stains or damage that needs attention. Use stain removers and touch up paint where needed.
Show Light Fixtures Some Love
Light fixtures get dusty! Take them apart to clean if possible. Duster attachment for the win. Check bulbs and replace burnt outs.
Vacuum Like a Boss!
Go over all those carpets slowly with a fine tooth comb attachment. Get under furniture and along edges. Repeat until dust bunnies disappear!
Pretty Baseboards Make Me Happy
Baseboards surprisingly collect loads of dust and fuzz. Give them a good wipe down to remove cobwebs and debris. Ah, satisfaction!
Attack Hidden Closet Clutter
Open up closets, cabinets, shelves – clean inside! Vacuum, dust, wipe down. Toss any random leftover items or trash stragglers.
Freshen Outdoors and Garage
Sweep porches, tidy garden beds, wash patio furniture. Clear junk from the garage and sweep it out. Ahh feels good out here!
Final Freshen Up
Replace burnt out bulbs, wipe down walls and switch plates, clean vents and filters. Oh and take out that last bag of trash!
Inspect Every Inch
Walk each room with a checklist eye before turning in keys. Make sure cleaning tasks were fully completed. Leave notes for any unfinished areas.
Tie Up Loose Ends
Do a final umbrella, shoe, and jacket sweep! Ensure all windows shut, lights off, doors locked. Dispose of all cleaning supplies.
Snap Photos as Proof
Take date stamped photos of all rooms as proof of the great cleaning job. Protect yourself in case any deposit disputes arise.
Sign Off and Adieu!
Return keys, remotes, gate cards and any other access materials to your landlord. Sign any final required paperwork and you’re done!
Consider Cleaning Help if Overwhelmed
If the cleaning feels too massive, hire professional cleaners experienced with rentals. They efficiently deep clean with checklists. Just ask for license, insurance, and references.
Review portfolios and products used – eco-friendly is best! Book 2-3 weeks out and clear belongings before the clean.
Kitchen Cleaning Playbook
As the busy heart of the home, the kitchen needs extra attention. Here are my best tips:
– Clear and sanitize inside all cabinets, drawers and pantries. Toss expired items!
– Magic eraser the stove, vent hoods and backsplash. Make them shine!
– Deep clean the oven and racks with baking soda paste. Scrub til arms burn!
– Pull appliances out and vacuum behind. Clean all the grates, knobs and handles.
– Sweep, then mop floors. Move appliances to reach hidden dust bunnies.
– Make stainless steel fridges and sinks gleam with specialty cleaner!
– Wash windows and treatments thoroughly inside and out. No streaks!
Bathroom Be Gone Game Plan
Sanitize bathrooms from top to bottom with these steps:
– Disinfect sinks, counters, mirrors, fixtures. Replace grimy shower curtains!
– Scrub moldy grout and soap scum from tiles and tubs with a pumice stone.
– Power wash toilet exterior, lid, bowl, base, tank and behind. Pumice stone inside too.
– Dust vents, fixtures, baseboards. Clean vent fan filters.
– Don’t forget inside medicine cabinets and vanity drawers!
– Mop and vacuum floors. Clean switch plates and door handles too.
– Remove mildew, limescale and rust stains from surfaces. Check caulking.
– Wash provided bath mats, towels and shower liners.
Bedroom and Living Room TLC
To freshen living spaces:
– Move furniture to vacuum all around and under. Get under those beds!
– Wash windows, sills and coverings until they’re streak-free perfection.
– Check walls and spot treat any scuffs or stains. Protect that deposit!
– Dust ceiling fans, light fixtures, vents and baseboards.
– Steam clean carpets and upholstery for that just moved in look!
– Clear out closets, shelves and storage areas fully. Toss or donate leftovers.
– Remove artwork, decor and ensure all personal belongings leave with you.
Get Your Full Deposit Back!
Putting in the hard work pays off with a tidy conscience and full security deposit return! A spotless rental handover shows respect for your landlord and home.
Don’t cut corners – follow a detailed cleaning checklist room by room. Ask for help if needed. Picture perfect cleans set your rental up for success with the next tenants.
You’ve got this! Now cue the bittersweet goodbye song and dance. Thanks for the memories, home – until we cross paths again!