The Caerphilly Big Cheese is back this month (27th-29th July) promising to be BIGGER than EVER.
Set in the shadows of Caerphilly Castle, the second largest Castle in Britain, this annual festival brings together local and regional Welsh food & drink producers in one of the largest travelling food halls in the country. With a dedicated cheese market featuring quality cheese producers from all over the country.
Entertainment is the life and soul of the festival with live music acts, choirs and dancers. Caerphilly Castle is transformed into a medieval encampment with re-enactment displays and battles. See what medieval life was like within the Castle walls and watch the villagers as they go about their daily tasks.
A huge traditional funfair is open throughout the festival along with many craft stalls lining the Castle’s moat. Children’s activities are plentiful with animal encounters, crafts, educational experiences and much more.
21 Cheesy Facts!
- 2018 is the 21st Big Cheese
- Over 50,000 visitors flock to the Big Cheese every year
- We have 70 Food and Drink stalls in 2 huge Food Halls
- We’ve a dedicated Cheese Market
- Over 1,500 residents car passes are issued every year
- Over 2,400 cars use the event Park & Ride facility
- 80 event stewards work more than a staggering 1,600 hours over the weekend
- 1,065 crowd barriers are used
- There will be 27 performances from local bands, choirs and singers including headliner’s Big Macs Wholly Soul Band
- 5 re-enactment groups reconstructing c950, 10th, 11th and 14th Century battles and life will be at the Castle
- A Castle bridge is constructed especially for the event joining the site to the Castle Hornwork
- There are over 100 stalls selling and promoting their products and services
- 45 funfair rides pitch up for the weekend
- The site build starts 10 days before the opening day with 483 hours worked by the site crew to construct the site
- The administration and logistical event planning starts in January!
- The Destination & Events Team rack up 70 years worth of working Big Cheese’s between them!
- Just 2 Event Officers organise the event with the support of 1 Events Assistant
- Llanfaes Dairy sold 1,700 ice creams at The Big Cheese in 2017!
- 150 bins are ordered and distributed throughout the site
- Approximately 1,450 traffic cones are used in streets surrounding the event area
- Over 70 portable toilets are on site for the event
The Big Cheese is a ‘must see’ attraction for all visitors, celebrating its 21st year in 2018. Portraying the history, heritage and culture of Caerphilly. Families from all over the country flock to Caerphilly to experience this fun filled programme of activities and entertainment.
The Big Cheese weekend is a FREE event and over 80,000 people are expected in 2018.