Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Approval for 137 homes plan on former Afan Lido site
    Construction

    Approval for 137 homes plan on former Afan Lido site

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregorySeptember 2, 2021No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Neath Port Talbot Council’s Planning Committee has granted Persimmon Homes West Wales conditional planning permission to build 137 homes on the site of the former Afan Lido Leisure Centre on the Aberavon Seafront.

    The development on the spectacular beach front location will include two, three and four-bedroom houses as well as a range of two-bedroom flats.

    The Afan Lido Leisure Centre, officially opened by The Queen, was burned down by a fire in 2009 and the prime site has been unused since then.

    Over the past two decades, Neath Port Talbot Council has been undertaking a major regeneration of the Aberavon Seafront with millions of pounds having been spent on new attractions, the upgrading of public facilities and developments such as the Afan Lido replacement, the Aberavon Leisure and Fitness Centre.

    The 3.1 hectare development will front onto Aberavon Beach and Princess Margaret Way, which is the main route along the popular seafront.

    The site is owned by Neath Port Talbot Council and the planning application by Persimmon was a result of the council’s procurement exercise in which developers were invited to bid for a development opportunity on the Aberavon Seafront.

    The council considered the site would provide an excellent opportunity for a developer to enhance the regeneration of the seafront.

    Cllr Annette Wingrave, Neath Port Talbot Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Sustainable Development, said: “This is a really exciting development in one of our most attractive locations.

    “The development of the site for residential use will have the twin benefit of delivering much-needed new housing which will not only visually enhance this end of the seafront, it will also bring more people to live in the area, adding to its vitality and providing more footfall to existing businesses there.”

    The Planning Committee granted the go ahead for the scheme, with a number of conditions, at its meeting on August 31st, 2021.

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Cardiff city centre house with £29,000 guide price heads to auction

    August 19, 2026

    Executive home in Newport’s Stow Park Circle listed for auction

    August 18, 2026

    Bonnie Tyler remembered as fans line streets for final journey

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Yellow thunderstorm warning issued for parts of North Wales

    August 19, 2026

    HMRC must justify proposed new criminal powers, says ACCA

    August 19, 2026

    Mabon fire and folklore festival returns to Caldicot Castle

    August 19, 2026

    Pupils connect with farming and food through year-long pilot

    August 19, 2026

    Food Cardiff welcomes eight new Strategy Board members

    August 19, 2026

    Egypt Centre and Richard Burton Archives awarded £350,000

    August 19, 2026

    Simon Burns named Technical Director at ZERO2FIVE

    August 19, 2026

    Andrea Bocelli to headline new Land of Song Festival in Cardiff

    August 19, 2026

    Businesses urged to enter 2026 Vale and Bridgend Business Awards

    August 19, 2026

    North Wales table tennis programme serves up opportunities

    August 19, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.