Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Eviction protection for businesses to be extended
    Commercial Property

    Eviction protection for businesses to be extended

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregorySeptember 22, 2020No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Welsh Government is further extending measures to protect businesses affected by coronavirus from eviction until the end of 2020, Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales Ken Skates has announced.

    As part of action to support the business community amid continuing hardship due to Covid-19 the moratorium against forfeiture for the non-payment of rent, which was due to end on 30 September, will now run up to and include 31 December, 2020.

    Rent due should continue to be paid whenever possible, but the latest measure will ensure no business is forced out of its premises if it misses a payment between now and the end of the 2020.

    This will also ease the burden on retailers at a time of immense challenge for the sector, including the winding down of the UK Government’s Job Retention Scheme.

    Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales Ken Skates, said:

    “We know there continues to be considerable concern among the retail sector in Wales, and we are extending these measures further in recognition of the incredible difficulties facing them and many other businesses across Wales.

    “This will prevent unreasonable evictions in the run up to the crucial Christmas period, protecting jobs and safeguarding businesses.

    “However we also recognise the need to develop sustainable ways to provide stability and certainty to businesses and workers long-term in order to drive economic recovery.

    “As part of this we will continue to make the case to the UK Government to provide the further necessary support as we plan for a prosperous post-pandemic Wales.”

    Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government Hannah Blythyn said: “Ensuring Welsh businesses can remain open, without fear from eviction is vital to ensuring our town centres can continue to thrive in a post-pandemic Wales. The extension of measure to protect business from eviction until the end of the year, will not only support but provide certainty for businesses I the run up too and throughout the busy festive period.

    Businesses have overcome new challenges since the start of the pandemic. The repurposed £9 million of funding I recently announced earlier this year was to support the safe reopening of town centres and to allow businesses to continue to trade in a safe environment despite these challenges.

    “Giving our towns a sense of place is more important than ever, and in line with our Transforming Towns agenda we will continue to work collaboratively with partners to build sustainable town centres for the future where businesses can thrive.”

    The UK Government has published a Code of Practice to promote good practice for landlords and tenants as they deal with challenges associated with coronavirus.

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Welsh commercial property investment reaches three-year high

    August 18, 2026

    £3m investment delivers modern business units in Llandeilo

    August 5, 2026

    Swansea Council secures 141 affordable homes in landmark housing deal

    August 4, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Why Complex Construction Projects Need More Planning Before Work Begins

    August 23, 2026

    Popular Cardiff splash pad closed until further notice after fault found

    August 23, 2026

    Finalists announced for the Wales STEM Awards 2026

    August 21, 2026

    Employees take ownership of leading North Wales events company

    August 21, 2026

    The Old Brewery officially opens in Cardiff’s historic Brewery Quarter

    August 21, 2026

    Welsh organisations invited to apply for grants worth up to £250,000

    August 21, 2026

    Young people in Wales urged to get second Meningitis B vaccine dose

    August 21, 2026

    Cardiff hospitality community unites for biggest 10K challenge yet

    August 21, 2026

    Swansea organisation praised for improving community wellbeing

    August 21, 2026

    Newport building society posts steady £3.7m profit after tax

    August 21, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.