My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Blue-green algae warning at Pen y Fan pond

Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Environmental Health team has issued advice to residents, following confirmation of potentially harmful blue-green algae in Pen y Fan Pond.

The algae produces toxins which can be harmful to both humans and animals. Residents are advised to ensure pets, particularly dogs, do not enter the water of the Pond – should pets come in contact with the water, owners are advised to thoroughly wash the animal with clean water and seek precautionary advice from a qualified vet.

In humans, the toxins can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

More information about the blue-green algae can be found on the Natural Resources Wales website.

Cllr Chris Morgan, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Green Spaces, said, “We would like to assure residents that the park remains safe to visit and enjoy, without causing undue concern or worry.  However, it is vital that no recreational activities, including fishing and public access of the pond itself takes place.

Visitors are also urged to ensure animals do not enter the water at Pen y Fan Pond.

Signage has been placed around the pond and regular inspections of the body of water will continue to take place. Our officers are also working alongside Natural Resources Wales to address this issue”.

Residents with any concerns regarding this issue can contact Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Environmental Health team on 01443 811 355.