The contract to build a new home for Fitzalan High School has been awarded to Kier, as thelatest scheme to be delivered under Cardiff’s £284m Band B, 21stCentury Schools and Education Programme progresses.
Representing a£64.3m investment in the local community, the development will see the existing Fitzalan High School replaced with a new-build 10 form entry school, accommodating up to 1,500 students between the age of 11 and 16, plus a sixth form.
The new school will offer comprehensive sports facilities including a multi-use games area, 3G pitches and a new indoor swimming pool, replacing the current pool which is already extensively used by local schools and community groups. These, and other facilities at the school will be available for public use outside school hours.
Deputy Leader of Cardiff Council, and Cabinet Member for Education, Employment and Skills, Cllr Sarah Merry, said: “As the development of the new Fitzalan High School progresses, members of the local community can begin to look forward to the exciting opportunities which this investment will present.
“Announcing the building contract is the latest landmark in delivering a modern, state-of-the art school which will also provide access to excellent amenities for local people to use, providing a significant boost for the area.”
Jason Taylor, operations director of Kier Regional Building Western & Wales, states: “I am delighted that we have been appointed by Cardiff Council to construct Fitzalan High School that will provide modern, purpose-built and inspiring learning environments for its students..
“This is a significant project for the local community and throughout the construction of this new school, we will look to leave a lasting legacy, by creating job and training opportunities, working with our local supply chain partners and engaging with pupils and showcasing the wide range of job roles currently available within the construction industry.”
On November 18, 2020 Cardiff Council’s Planning Committee approved plans for the new school which included:
- Erection of a 3 storey high school to accommodate 1850 pupils,
- New community swimming pool.
- Provision of MUGAs
- Provision of 1 3G rugby / football pitch.
- Provision of 1 3G under 16 hockey / football pitch.
- A staff car park (47 spaces) and visitor car park (24 spaces including 8 disabled bays).
- Associated hard and soft play areas.
The enabling works associated with the development are due to be completed in summer 2021 and include:
- Relocation of the Air Dome onto land behind Leckwith Stadium ;
- New grass stitched football pitch Tier 2 standard, (with no floodlighting);
- New 3G rugby / football pitch;
- Relocation of throwing range;
- Erection of 2 storey changing room building (with 3 community classrooms at first floor and 1 on ground floor);
- Erection of a single storey changing room building;
- Pitch 5 (for use by cricket);
- Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) 16 and 17; and
- Provision of new car parking area and cycle stands for community parking.
Subject to procurement, construction of the new school is expected to be completed in the 2022/2023 academic year.