My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Faulty second-hand electrical goods could cost lives, warns council

Second-hand electrical retailers who sell faulty goods are putting lives at risk, Powys County Council has warned.

Now the council’s Trading Standards Service are reminding businesses that deal in second-hand goods that they must only sell appliances that have passed safety tests.

Over 4,700 fires in the UK were caused by electrical goods alone, an average of 13 per day, according to Electrical Safety First. Despite these figures, second-hand electrical retailers continue to sell goods without carrying out the appropriate checks.

Cllr James Evans, Cabinet Member for Trading Standards, said:

“Businesses need to know they are responsible for the products they sell and make sure those goods are safe before they leave the door.

“Goods should be checked to ensure live parts are not exposed, wires are not frayed and that creepage and clearance distances are within regulations.

“If a business fails to comply, they could face severe penalties, including possible imprisonment or manslaughter charges should their faulty goods result in a death.”

To help businesses stay within the law, a free-to-use government funded service has launched a new animation guide along with in-depth guides on second-hand electrical goods.

Business Companion, which provides support and advice on trading standards and consumer protection legislation, have produced the guides which provide details on safety testing, legislation and potential penalties for failing to comply as well as links to product recall services.

For more information contact Trading Standards on Brecon 01874 623420; Llandrindod Wells 01597 826032; Newtown 01686 617524 or email [email protected]