My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Hammer attack burglar who was caught sleeping by police jailed

Ian Curtis

A burglar who used a hammer to knock his victim unconscious before falling asleep in the house has been jailed for more than 11 years.

Ian Curtis, 48, from Llwynipia, was arrested by officers after his victim had managed to raise the alarm with his neighbours.

Ian Curtis

Curtis had smashed a back patio door to gain entry to the 66 year-old victim’s house on Llantwit Road, Pontypridd, in the early hours of Saturday, September 19th, 2020.

The victim, who had been sleeping upstairs, had just got up to walk his dog when he felt a blow to the back of his head which knocked him unconscious.

He came around to see Curtis demanding his money and his car keys before ordering him to go upstairs. Curtis told him that he has been paid £4,500 by somebody to kill him, and said wouldn’t have to kill him if he could give him the money.

Dazed and petrified, the victim crawled upstairs followed by Curtis, and pointed to his wallet which contained cash. He gave him his bank card and a pin number.

Curtis lit up a cigarette and sat down, and moments later he fell asleep which gave his victim the chance to get away.

He tried to call 999 but realised his phone lines had been cut, so he went outside to raise the alarm with his neighbour who contacted the police.

Officers arrived shortly after to find Curtis sleeping in an upstairs bedroom. He was arrested and taken into custody.

The victim was taken to hospital with injuries including cuts and bruising to his face and a cut to the back of his head cause by the hammer blow.

Officers searched the area outside and near a bus stop they found recycling bags full of the victim’s property, such as electrical items and jewellery. Curtis was even wearing the victim’s watch as he was being booked into custody.

Ian Curtis pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and was jailed for 11 years and 8 months at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on Monday, 22nd January, 2021.

Detective Inspector Hicks, said: “This was a horrific and cruel crime, the kind of which is extremely rare. Fuelled by drugs, Curtis showed his victim no mercy and could very easily have killed him with the hammer. He is a very dangerous individual who will now spend a considerable time in prison for his crime.”