A planning application to build a new replacement special school in north Powys will be considered next month (February), Powys county council has said.
Powys County Council is planning to build a new £20m school for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown.
The planning application for the build will be considered by the council’s Planning, Taxi Licensing & Rights of Way Committee on Thursday, February 3.
As part of the proposed development, the new Ysgol Cedewain school will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.
The new school will be funded the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools Programme, who will fund 75% of the project. The remaining 25% would be funded by the council.
The plans for Ysgol Cedewain are part of the council’s Transformation Programme to deliver aspirations in Vision 2025 as well as deliver the Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys 2020-2030.
Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education and Property, said: “Our ambitious plans for Ysgol Cedewain will see us provide a world-class facility for our most vulnerable learners.
“When complete, it will provide an environment where teaching staff can thrive and give vulnerable learners facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning.”