A NUMBER of road closures will be in place on Sunday (September 16) to ensure the safety of runners for the annual Admiral Swansea Bay 10k.
Around 5,000 runners are expected to take part in the main race, which starts outside St Helen’s Ground at 1pm and heads west along Mumbles Road to Oystermouth Car Park where the runners turn and head back along the promenade towards the starting point.
Swansea Council is behind the event. A number of other races will also take place on the day, including 1k, 3k and 5k races for juniors, as well as the traditional 100-metre dash for mascots. All places for each race other than the mascots are now taken, so people won’t be able to sign-up to take part on the day.
The road closures listed below will be in place on the day:
- Noon to 1.30pm – Mumbles Road closed between Guildhall Road South and Sketty Lane.
- Noon to 1.30pm – Brynmill Lane closed between Mumbles Road and Bryn Road, except for access southbound to the Recreation Ground off Brynmill Lane for parking (subject to availability on the day).
- Noon to 12.30pm – Sketty Lane right turn only onto Mumbles Road.
- 12.30pm to 2pm – Sketty Lane closed southbound. Access to Singleton Hospital and the Wales National Pool will be maintained.
- 12.30pm to 2pm – Mumbles Road closed in Mumbles direction only between Sketty Lane and Mayals Road. Left turn only (towards the city centre) from Ashleigh Road, Derwen Fawr Road, Mill Lane and Mayals Road.
- 12.30pm to 2pm – Mumbles Road closed between Mayals Road and Fairwood Road.
- 12.30pm to 2pm – Mumbles Road closed in Mumbles direction only between Fairwood Road and Newton Road. Left turn only towards the city centre from Alderwood Road, Bethany Lane, Palmyra Court, Norton Avenue, Norton Road and Newton Road.
- Re-opening times are approximate as they depend on the speed of the runners.
Diversion routes have been made available wherever possible and information will be issued to those located adjacent to the 10k route and who may be directly affected by the closures.
Have a look at the Race Day Guide on swanseabay10k.com for further details, including travel and parking information.