My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Upcoming drainage improvements at Ty’n-y-Wern and Standard View


RCT Council will deliver two Welsh Government-funded drainage schemes in the coming weeks – starting on Monday at Ty’n-y-Wern in Tonyrefail, to be directly followed by a scheme at Standard View in Ynyshir next month.

The £125,000 scheme at Ty’n-y-Wern will be carried out by DT Contracting, with the Council benefitting from an 85% Welsh Government contribution. The scheme will include lining works to an existing drainage network, to improve its condition and ensure it is as efficient as possible during heavy rainfall.

The work will begin from Monday, June 21, lasting around one month in total, with minimal overall disruption expected for local residents. However, the contractor may require temporary traffic signals for elements of the scheme in order to maintain two-way traffic flow. No road closures will be required.

DT Contracting has also been appointed for a similar £100,000 scheme at Standard View in Ynyshir – also utilising an 85% contribution secured from Welsh Government. The scheme is expected to start by the end of July 2021 in order to minimise disruption to the nearby Ynyshir Community Primary School, and further details will be communicated to residents in due course.

Councillor Andrew Morgan, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and Cabinet Member with responsibility for Highways and Transportation, said: “I’m pleased the Council has appointed a contractor for the upcoming drainage schemes in Tonyrefail and Ynyshir, to be carried out consecutively this summer – with the first works starting on Monday. The schemes represent a combined £225,000 investment, with an 85% contribution secured from Welsh Government and the remaining 15% provided by the Council.

“Delivering targeted drainage improvements remains a Council priority, and important progress has been made via Welsh Government’s Resilient Roads grant – which saw £4.9m secured in 2020/21 and an additional £2.75m in March 2021. Important work has been delivered at Porth Relief Road, Canal Road in Cwmbach and the A4059 from Penywaun to Trecynon – while a significant scheme is currently progressing well at A4059 Aberdare Bypass.

“Culvert improvements have also been targeted at several locations in recent weeks and months – including at Bronallt Terrace in Abercwmboi, Granville Terrace, Fforest Road, Kingcraft Street and Campbell Terrace in Mountain Ash, along with a sustainable drainage pilot scheme at Mill Street, Pontypridd.

“The upcoming work at Ty’n-y-Wern in Tonyrefail will start on Monday and may require some localised traffic management – although overall disruption is expected to be minimal. Further details about the scheme at Standard View in Ynyshir will be communicated by the Council in due course, with these works scheduled to take place in the school summer holiday to minimise disruption.”