Cardiff is one of nine creative clusters in the UK awarded research funding.
Cardiff Council Leader, Cllr Huw Thomas said:
“As one of the UK’s leading centres for screen production, creativity continues to be at the heart of Cardiff’s regeneration agenda. I was proud to be able to lend the Council’s support to the AHRC cluster bid and I am absolutely delighted that Cardiff has been successful in winning.
“This significant investment in research and development of the screen sector in Cardiff and region will be transformational in growing the sector. I am looking forward to working with Cardiff’s three Universities and industry to support Cardiff being at the cutting edge of screen innovation, our city will be leading the way in working on new ways to consume digital content and stories for the future”.
Major investment into Welsh creative industries announced! Council Leader Huw Thomas; “As one of the UK’s leading centres for screen production, creativity continues to be at the heart of Cardiff’s regeneration agenda..” What makes Cardiff Creative? https://t.co/qvjFpu2M2u pic.twitter.com/ApMpwycptJ
— Cardiff Council (@cardiffcouncil) September 7, 2018
What makes Cardiff Creative? Here’s a roundup of what’s going on right now within the Welsh Capital;
- This is the first time the city’s three Universities have collaborated on a major project.
- Cardiff recently won a UK Bid to host the media focused Creative Cities Convention 2019, beating Glasgow and Bristol on the shortlist.
- We have a new media, creative and knowledge hub rising out of the ground in Central Square. A pioneering development that will put the capital of Wales on the map for the creative industries – accessible from London in less than two hours door to door.
- Cardiff places culture, creativity and innovation at the heart of the city’s development.
- Cardiff is a young city and with more than 70,000 students, the creative potential of the city is vast.
- Over 7000 students in Cardiff study a range of creative specialisms aligned with creative industries.
- Cardiff is diverse, and the city that pioneered multiculturalism.
- Cardiff is not just a great place to work. When it comes to quality of life, Cardiff consistently emerges top European quality of life surveys.
- The most recent EU Survey saw Cardiff voted number one capital city for quality of life and also ranked top UK city for cultural facilities.