My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Wynne Construction secures two mid Wales projects

A North Wales construction firm will continue to grow its footprint in Mid-Wales as it commences work on the development of a new additional learning needs school in Powys.

Bodelwyddan-based Wynne Construction has been appointed by Powys County Council to build a replacement building for Newtown’s Ysgol Cedewain, allowing up to 108 pupils to have access to specialised, modern and fit-for-purpose facilities.

As well as marking a significant investment in educational facilities in Powys, the £21.2m design and build project will also safeguard employment across Wynne Construction and the wider local and regional supply chain.

Additionally, Wynne will also be providing professional development opportunities for subcontractors and apprentices as part of its work through the National TOMs Framework and the company’s own Wynne Futures Foundation.

Enabling works have started on site, with a turf cutting ceremony held to mark the official commencement of the development, which will see more than 40 staff on site per day to assist with construction.

The two-storey building, which will include a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms, garden, and a community café, is due to complete in March 2024.

The first major milestone in the build is planned for the start of 2023 where all the Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs) on site will be installed and signed by members of the community as part of the company’s commitment to thread community benefits throughout the construction phase.

Steve Davies, construction director at Wynne Construction, said: “We’re proud to be working on the design and build of such a prestigious and important investment in the additional learning needs provision in Powys.

“The scheme is designed to deliver an outstanding education facility that brings equal learning opportunities for all its pupils, as well as helping boost local and regional employment opportunities during the development process.

“It’s also particularly rewarding to have the site operate in a net zero capacity through the usage of sustainable measures such as the installation of PV solar panels on site cabins and the usage of alternative fuels in the build process.”

Wynne was appointed as part of the Welsh Government’s Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, with the school development to also incorporate low carbon features such as air-source heat pumps.

Ysgol Cedewain is the latest development Wynne has secured under the South East and Mid-Wales Collaborative Construction Framework. It’s also the latest additional learning needs school the contractor has built, with Ysgol Hafod Lon in Gwynedd amongst previous projects.

Cllr Pete Roberts, Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys, said: “I’m extremely pleased that work to build a new replacement school for Ysgol Cedewain has started.  This project will see the council provide a world-class facility for the county’s most vulnerable learners.

“I would like to thank the Welsh Government for the funding they are providing for this project, which will allow the council to provide an environment where teaching staff and thrive and give vulnerable learners the facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning.”

The Welsh Government has funded 75 per cent of the project costs under its Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, with the remaining 25 per cent covered by the council.

Jeremy Miles, Minister for Education and Welsh Language, said: “We want to help provide children and young people across Wales with the best learning environments which will enable all our learners to thrive.

“I’m really pleased that, through our Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, we’re able to support this exciting new project at Ysgol Cedewain and I look forward to visiting once the new building is complete.”