Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Jones Bros appointed to deliver crucial coastal defence project in North Wales
    Construction

    Jones Bros appointed to deliver crucial coastal defence project in North Wales

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregoryJune 10, 2024No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Jones Bros carried out the coastal defence work at Penrhyn Bay. Credit: Keith Freeburn
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A leading civil engineering firm has been appointed to deliver crucial multi-million-pound coastal defence improvements in North Wales.

    Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK is utilising its expertise on the £13m Kinmel Bay development after being engaged by Conwy County Borough Council following a competitive tender process.

    The Ruthin-headquartered company will procure and import up to 80,000 tonnes of rock armour, sourced from North Wales quarries, to strengthen the current revetment between Towyn and Kinmel Bay.

    Jones Bros will also raise just under 2km of existing sea wall by 500-750mm and replace two floodgates aspart of plans to minimise the impact of stormy weather and associated coastal flooding.

    Proposals at Kinmel Bay car park. Credit: Conwy County Borough Council

    The seafront is to benefit from enhancements, with improved beach access, car park upgrades, and the installation of a toilet block and street furniture.

    Construction will start in September with completion scheduled for winter 2025/26, with Jones Bros set to have up to 50 staff, including apprentices and trainees, across the scheme.

    Jones Bros senior contracts manager Dafydd Elis said: “It’s wonderful to have the opportunity to build on our recent coastal defence work in Penrhyn Bay.

    “We have vast experience in this sector, having also previously worked on schemes across North Wales and the UK, including Rhyl, Tywyn, Old Colwyn, Clacton-on-Sea, and the Isle of Wight.

    “As a local company, we know how the community is affected by bad weather, and it is great to play a part in alleviating the impact.

    “With any scheme, it’s also important to boost the local economy, and with that in mind we are sourcing material from North Wales quarries.”

    Jones Bros will also strive to build on its ‘excellent’ rating from the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) for its work delivering £7.5M worth of shoreside improvements as part of the Penrhyn Bay development.

    The CCS aims to raise standards in construction by ensuring contractors are responsibly carrying out builds through an independent and rigorous monitoring process, which rates projects on their consideration for the environment, community, and workforce.

    Cllr Goronwy Edwards, Conwy County Borough Council cabinet member for environment, roads, and facilities – infrastructure, said: “This is an important coastal defence scheme which will help protect homes and businesses from the sea level rise and increasing storms we can expect in the future.

    “It’s also an opportunity to improve public spaces and beach access at the same time.”

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Plans submitted for major new recycling depot in Ystrad Mynach

    May 22, 2026

    Honest Review of Alan Wood & Partners in 2026

    May 18, 2026

    Construction begins on £49m Skyline Swansea adventure attraction

    May 15, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Cardiff Airport celebrates launch of new direct Toronto route

    May 23, 2026

    Thousands told to boil tap water in Rhondda Cynon Taf

    May 23, 2026

    Why walking your dog this bank holiday could be dangerous in the heat

    May 23, 2026

    City Hospice named as chosen charity of Cardiff’s new Lord Mayor

    May 23, 2026

    Cardiff Splash Pad reopens just in time for May half term heatwave

    May 23, 2026

    Drivers warned of delays on M4 as half term travel ramps up in Wales

    May 23, 2026

    Cardiff Food and Drink Festival 2026 dates confirmed as countdown begins

    May 22, 2026

    Cardiff Council appoints Chris Weaver as new Leader

    May 22, 2026

    Adam Price says “Wales means business” at first major speech as minister

    May 22, 2026

    VAT cut to make family attractions and restaurants cheaper this summer

    May 22, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.