Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Easter frustration for tourism industry
    Tourism

    Easter frustration for tourism industry

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregoryMarch 29, 2021No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A tourism leader in North Wales says it’s a “great shame” that attractions and most of the hospitality industry won’t be open for Easter.

    Jim Jones, the chief executive of North Wales Tourism, said that their was a real sense of frustration in businesses that had been battered as a result of the pandemic.

    He accused the Welsh Government of failing to listen to the sector’s pleas for a proper roadmap to navigate the return to something near normality.

    First Minister Mark Drakeford has revealed the “stay-local” rules will lift in Wales from tomorrow (Saturday) and unrestricted travel within its borders will be allowed.

    It means Wales will be the first UK nation to scrap travel restrictions within country boundaries since lockdowns were re-imposed in winter.

    Self-contained tourist accommodation – including many hotels and cottages – will also be able to open then.

    But non-essential travel to and from other UK nations will be banned for at least two weeks.

    Mr Jones said: “It’s excellent news that slowly we are on the right track as we slowly start to open up the sector across Wales but it’s a great shame that many of our attractions and hospitality won’t be open for Easter.

    “There is still a real and palpable sense of frustration in the sector, as it feels that the Welsh Government haven’t been listening to the mood on the ground. If they had, then we would have a plan to take us forward post April.

    “It is very difficult to understand why they won’t map this out, especially as the other three home nations have now done so.

    “Maybe it’s a matter of pride on the First Minister’s behalf that he wants to stick to his agenda of not budging on his opinion, even though the evidence and feedback tell him otherwise.  I really don’t know.

    “But he needs to realise that when running a business, people need time to plan. They now have very little resource, which makes things a lot harder.

    “We at North Wales Tourism, on behalf of the sector, have consistently offered advice and guidance to Welsh Government throughout this whole pandemic. But it appears to be of no avail.

    “However, we know dates will eventually be forthcoming, based on the success of the vaccine roll out and reduction in cases.

    “In the meantime, more targeted financial support is still needed for the sector to help with recovery. Be under no illusion, this is still going to be a very tough and bumpy ride for many businesses going forward.”

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Small grants make a big difference to Swansea’s tourism businesses

    August 20, 2026

    Adam Price vows to be tourism’s biggest supporter in Wales

    August 20, 2026

    Wales launches £2m grant scheme to improve accessibility for tourists

    July 26, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Finalists announced for the Wales STEM Awards 2026

    August 21, 2026

    Employees take ownership of leading North Wales events company

    August 21, 2026

    The Old Brewery officially opens in Cardiff’s historic Brewery Quarter

    August 21, 2026

    Welsh organisations invited to apply for grants worth up to £250,000

    August 21, 2026

    Young people in Wales urged to get second Meningitis B vaccine dose

    August 21, 2026

    Cardiff hospitality community unites for biggest 10K challenge yet

    August 21, 2026

    Swansea organisation praised for improving community wellbeing

    August 21, 2026

    Newport building society posts steady £3.7m profit after tax

    August 21, 2026

    Historic Rhymney House Hotel could become homes or apartments

    August 21, 2026

    Fourth person charged following teenager’s death in Gorseinon collision

    August 21, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.