Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council has launched a grants programme to help social enterprises, community groups, tourism businesses and sports clubs pay for capital projects.
The Social Enterprise, Tourism & Sport (SETS) Capital Grant will support applicants in carrying out building and infrastructure work, and making large purchases to help them expand their existing services and activities.
After talking to a range of businesses and groups, the Council has committed £250,000 to the programme over the coming financial year and awards of up to £25,000 are being made available.
“The Council recognises there’s a definite need to support all types of social enterprises and groups, tourism businesses and sports clubs with capital funding,” said Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Transformation and Commercialisation Cllr Geraint Thomas.
“This is particularly the case in the aftermath of the pandemic, where many organisations lost income and were unable to invest in maintenance or plans for growth. The grant is designed to give them a helping hand to do that.”
However, the scheme will not finance any work relating to putting in adaptions because of the pandemic, or feasibility studies aligned to potential capital works.
Eligible for funding will be:
• Internal and external building work that enhances or safeguards the business/ organisation building
• Large infrastructure equipment purchases
• Capital works to assist with a Community Asset Transfer (CAT)
You cannot apply for support for:
• Revenue costs
• Covid-19 adaptations work, such as screening
• Costs to purchase buildings, land or vehicles
• Costs that relate to normal running expenses
• Feasibility studies or architects’ fees for proposed capital developments
• Statutory procedures such as planning permission or building regulations
• Equipment/other items that have a one-off annual use or are deemed to be seasonal
• Retrospective costs such as for work or equipment already undertaken/purchased
Applicants need to be standalone tourism business (primarily attractions and accommodation providers); any form of social business: social enterprise, constituted community group, CIC, sports club, youth organisation, worship group, resident association etc; and the organisation/business must be based in Merthyr Tydfil.
The maximum amount that can be applied for is £25,000. Applications for more than £15,000 will be required to contribute 20% towards the total project cost. For projects costing less than £15,000, there will be no match-funding requirement.
The deadline for submission of applications is next Friday, 15 October.
In the first instance, you will need to register your interest by emailing [email protected] where you will be sent an application form and guidance document for the SETS Capital Grant. The Community Regeneration Team will be on hand to answer any questions via email.