There are just a few days to go before the Farmers’ Union of Wales is embarking on its Snowdon 6 challenge, in aid of its President’s charities – Alzheimer’s Society Cymru and The Farming Community Network.
With excitement building all over the country, Senior Account Executive at FUW Insurance Services Ltd, Gwion James, who is leading the arrangements, said:
“The current weather forecast for Friday is good, this will help us enjoy a good day together and hopefully enjoy the fabulous views of Snowdonia.
“At the end of the walk we look forward to a BBQ, which will be prepared at Llyndy Isaf and I hope everyone has a great and safe time completing this gruelling challenge.”
Mr James is reminding those taking part, whether they are attempting one, two or three peaks , to consider some general points such as:
1. Prepare. Eat well and drink plenty of water the day before, and have an early night.
2. Wear strong walking boots/shoes and good walking socks .Those doing three peaks will also need a head torch.
3. Bring a small rucksack with a bottle of water and a small amount of food. For those doing two or three peaks there will be feed and water stops at the end of each ‘round’ .
4. Bring a light jacket or fleece and possibly a hat to wear above 800 metres where the wind will be stronger.
5. Keep to the well marked paths. Do not under any circumstance wander from the marked paths.
6. It is not a race. Everyone is encouraged to walk at their own pace. There will be experienced walkers leading each group and I will be the back marker-so nobody will be left behind. I will carry basic first aid equipment. It is important that everyone enjoys their challenge and that they complete it safely.
7. Bring cash for car parking and lunch.
He added: “There are 3 options for the day, which offers a choice and I would urge you to consider them carefully and make sure you let us know in advance if you are planning on joining us.”
1. Three Peaks- 26 miles 8,900 ft climb approx. 12-15 hours. Start point- bottom of Watkin Path, Nantgwynant Car Park, Nantgwynant nr Beddgelert LL55 4NQ. Watkin Path to the peak and Snowdon Ranger path down The amended start time is 3am. This will allow all walkers time to reach the breakfast point at Nant Ddu for the pre- arranged time of 7.30am.
2. Two peaks – 18 miles 5,200 ft climb approx 8-10 hours Start point Nant Ddu Car Park LL54 6TW 8am start. Rhyd Ddu path to the peak and Miners Path to Pen Y Pass for lunch
3. One Peak- 10 miles 2,300 ft climb approx. 4-5 hours Start point Pen Y Pass car park LL55 4NY. 1pm As parking is limited it would be wise for those attempting one peak to park at Llanberis LL55 4TD and take the T2 Snowdon Ranger bus shuttle service to Pen Y Pass, departing opposite Joe Brown’s at 1200, there is an earlier service at 1100. Climb to the Peak via PYG path and descend via Llanberis path.
Those wishing to join the FUW on the day for either of the walks should contact Gwion James on 01570 422556 / 07980 608337