The British Takeaway Awards (BTAs) returns for the fifth year and has revealed 2019’s five finalists for “Best Takeaway” in Wales.
For half a decade the BTAs, which are run in association with Just Eat, have paid homage to the unsung heroes of the takeaway sector who work tirelessly to serve us our favourite takeaway dishes in Wales and all across Great Britain. The top five takeaways in Wales that received the most public votes have made it through to the star-studded national awards ceremony on the 27th of January at The Savoy, London.
The twelve regional winners will be chosen by a panel of judges who will take into consideration the number of votes each finalist received, feedback from a mystery shop, and by reviewing a written submission from the restaurant owners. The panel will then identify the twelve regional winners and crown an overall winner for the coveted Best Takeaway in Britain award. As well as the accolade of best takeaway, each regional winners will receive £1,000 and the Best Takeaway in Britain will receive £5,000.
2019’s Welsh finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
- Mama’s India Takeaway, Clear Water Way, Cardiff – Indian
- Traditional No 8 Fish & Chip Shop, Cliftonville Street, Whitland – Fish & Chips
- Uplands Diner, Uplands Crescent, Swansea – Diner
- WIWO, Woodville Road, Cardiff – Chinese
- Wok in A Box, Taff Street, Pontypridd – Chinese
Andrew Kenny, Managing Director of Just Eat commented: “We are excited to be back for the fifth year running to celebrate the local takeaways across Britain that provide their communities with quality food, outstanding customer service and joy. This year, we saw a tremendous amount of votes in Wales. The calibre of restaurants is high so the judges will have their work cut out picking a winner!”
The panel of judges include,
- Ainsley Harriott – celebrity chef, TV star and best selling author
- Sarah Willingham – entrepreneur and former star of BBC2’s Dragons’ Den
- Graham Corfield – Chief Operating Officer of Just Eat
- Ibrahim Dougus – Chairman of the British Takeaway Campaign
- James Hacon – Managing Director of Think Hospitality
As well as voting for the best of the best in the sector, takeaway aficionados also had the chance to nominate themselves as “Britain’s #1 Takeaway Fan”. Culinary legend and BTAs judge Ainsley Harriott will be picking the lucky winner who will win a holiday to the country where their favourite takeaway cuisine hails from, a free takeaway every month for a year (courtesy of Just Eat), and the “Britain’s #1 Takeaway Fan” trophy.