Customers urged to check before they travel and allow extra time for their journey following flood damage to key routes caused by Storm Dennis.
Transport for Wales’ Customer Delivery Director, Bethan Jelfs said: “As a result of rail infrastructure damage and continued flooding caused by Storm Dennis, Transport for Wales are still strongly advising all customers to check their journey arrangements prior to travel on Tuesday (18 February) and allow plenty of time.
“There has been significant damage to the rail network and limited replacement road transport available, it is inevitable that some services on Tuesday morning will be subject to disruption which will result in delays and cancellations.
“Where trains are cancelled or terminating short of destination, every effort will be made to provide a rail replacement bus service wherever possible. Some roads are also subject to delays too as a result of flooding and related damage, and journeys may take significantly longer than is usual on many routes.
As of 8pm last night, services on following lines on Tuesday 18 February will be disrupted and a rail replacement bus service provided:
- Cardiff Valley Lines – all lines North of Pontypridd (including Aberdare, Merthyr and Treherbert) currently closed;
- Aberdare – likely to be closed for a number of days, rail replacement bus service in place.
- Treherbert – likely to remain closed tomorrow, rail replacement bus service in place.
- Merthyr Tydfil – line currently being inspected and may reopen on Tuesday morning. Check for regular updates.
- Ebbw Vale – line currently closed following a landslip, however may reopen on Tuesday afternoon. Check for regular updates.
- Newport – Hereford, line currently closed, services on the Marches line will be replaced by a rail replacement bus service due to flooding.
- Heart of Wales line – currently closed, however may reopen on Tuesday afternoon. Check for regular updates.
- Conwy Valley – line closed, a rail replacement bus service will operate between Llandudno Junction & Blaenau Ffestiniog until further notice.
- Cambrian Line – Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth will remain closed on Tuesday with a rail replacement bus service in place. Line may reopen on Wednesday, check for regular updates. The Cambrian Coastline (Machynlleth – Pwllheli) will remain closed on Tuesday, with rail replacement bus service in place but may reopen on Wednesday. Check for regular updates.
“The safety of our customers and colleagues is our absolute priority and we are working closely with Network Rail and doing all we can to minimise the disruption and keep our customers moving and informed.
“The situation is changing all the time and therefore services are likely to be disrupted throughout tomorrow with last minute alterations. Customers are advised to check their journey before travelling on nationalrail.co.uk or journeycheck.com/tfwrail/
“We would like to thank customers in advance for their patience and understanding.”