My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Three Neath Port Talbot building projects in the running for top awards

The Plaza Cinema

THREE Neath Port Talbot Council building projects have been shortlisted in the prestigious Construction Excellence in Wales Awards being held at the Celtic Manor Hotel on Friday, June 16th, 2023.

The three projects include the building of the replacement Cefn Saeson Comprehensive School in Cimla, Neath – this project is up for two awards.

The other two are the successful conversion of Port Talbot’s Grade II listed Plaza Cinema into a community hub, business centre and gym and the development of the Harbourside Strategic Employment site in Port Talbot’s docklands.

Work on the Harbourside site has included remediation of former brownfield land, construction of an access road, the upgrading of existing highways, flood mitigation measures and an extension to the car park adjacent to the Port Talbot Parkway Railway Station.

The Plaza lay derelict for many years before the building, which famously helped inspire the stellar careers of local acting stars Richard Burton, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Michael Sheen, became the focus for the council project to give it a brand new town centre role.

The projects, together with contractors, are mentioned in the following categories:

Project of the Year
Cefn Saeson High School – Powell Dobson Architects, Neath Port Talbot Council, Morgan Sindall, WSP, Corscadden Associates, Formant, Ministry of Furniture. Building of the school was 65% funded by the Welsh Government’s Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme. The council paid the remaining 35%.

Conservation & Regeneration Award

The Plaza Redevelopment – Port Talbot – BAM Construction, Neath Port Talbot Council, GWP Architecture, Hydrock, Asbri Planning, Vale CRW. The project was paid for by the council with substantial investment from the Welsh Government and the European Regional Development Fund.

Integration & Collaborative Working Award
Cefn Saeson Comprehensive School – Powell Dobson Architects, Neath Port Talbot Council, Morgan Sindall, WSP, Corscadden Associates, Formant, Ministry of Furniture.

Sustainability Award
Harbourside Strategic Employment Site – Andrew Scott, Neath Port Talbot Council, WSP, Shillibiers. The strategic employment site received funding from the European Regional Development Fund via the Welsh Government. This followed substantial EU funding in the regeneration work in the former docklands including £54m towards the Harbour Way M4 link road,
Constructing Excellence in Wales is the organisation charged with driving the change agenda in construction to produce a better built environment.

Cllr Jeremy Hurley, Neath Port Talbot Council’s Cabinet Member for Climate Change and Economic Growth, said: “It’s good to see the council’s developments in the shortlist for these prestigious awards. Their inclusion recognises the efforts of the council and its partners in constructing quality, sustainable, buildings.”