My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Flood alleviation work to reduce risk for Rhydyfelin community

Masefield Way

Important flood alleviation work will get underway at two separate locations in Rhydyfelin, to reduce the risk of flooding in heavy rainfall – and both schemes are benefitting from significant Welsh Government funding.

The works at Masefield Way and a nearby section of Bryn Tail Road start on Monday, February 13.The schemes will take place away from the highway, requiring no traffic management and causing minimal disruption locally. The Council has appointed Calibre Contracting Ltd to deliver each scheme on site.

Seven weeks of work at Bryn Tail Road will install a structure that will help better control the flow of water in heavy rain, reducing the pressure on other infrastructure at lower points in the network. The scheme at Masefield Way will install a structure that will help reduce the amount of debris that enters the drainage system, therefore decreasing blockages that could cause flooding.

The combined investment for the two schemes is £250,000, and the Council has received an 85% contribution from the Small Scale Works Grant by Welsh Government. The remaining 15% is met by the Council’s Capital Programme.

Councillor Andrew Morgan OBE, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Investment, said: “This work in Rhydyfelin represents the latest investment to help reduce the risk of flooding, being targeted across County Borough communities. The Council continues to prioritise investment in flood alleviation, supported by Welsh Government, in recognition of the increased likelihood of storm events due to climate change.

“Our accelerated works programme includes more than 100 flood alleviation schemes, of which half are complete – with £18m spent on infrastructure upgrades and £25m on storm repairs in recent years. The recent heavy rain in January gave positive indications that our work to date has been effective at numerous locations – but we also understand there is a lot more work to do.

“The upcoming schemes at Masefield Way and Bryn Tail Road in Rhydyfelin are the latest to receive Welsh Government funding during 2022/23. Nearly £16m was secured for Storm Dennis repairs this financial year, plus around £3.9m for flood alleviation across the Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management and Small Scale Works Grant programmes. We have also received £400,000 to progress a further 10 Resilient Roads schemes.

“Residents might notice the local works activity beginning on each of the two projects in Rhydyfelin, in the week commencing February 13. The Council will work closely with its appointed contractor to make efficient progress over the weeks ahead, to deliver this flood alleviation investment for the community.”