Portmeirion, Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon and Llyn Padarn are among the UK’s most romantic destinations in Mills & Boon survey.
Portmeirion has been named the 6th most romantic place in the UK, while Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon and Llyn Padarn, Snowdonia feature in the Top 20 UK romantic places in a new study celebrating the destinations for passion.
The Isle of Skye’s Fairy Pools has been named the most romantic place in the UK, and Grasmere in the Lake District and the city of Bath complete the top three.
Beautiful views and a touch of luxury are named as the ingredients to spark the right mood for love in a survey of 2,000 people commissioned by romance experts Mills & Boon, ahead of the start of the summer holiday season.
The survey shows that Brits like to put the roam into romance with almost all Brits (94%) believing a summer holiday is the ideal way to spend some loved-up time with their partner.
A longlist of incredible romantic places was drawn up by a panel of leading travel experts from UK travel, news and magazine publications and was whittled down further in the national poll. Each one of the top 10 UK places was then celebrated in a specially commissioned Mills & Boon short story set in that location.
The shorts, whose titles include A Scandalous Liaison on Skye and A Passionate Portmeirion Proposal, are released ahead of the great British Summer Holidays.
Waterside locations appear to be common theme as favourites for love with most of the UK top ten places in in close proximity to sea, rivers or waterfalls. However the five key factors for a romantic location in rank order were beautiful views (identified by 69%), luxury accomodation (55%), warm climate (49%), fabulous restaurants (39%) and amazing walks (33%). And with the heatwave set to last the summer, Brits will be spoiled for choice in finding a romantic UK getaway.
The full list of the 20 Most Romantic Places in the UK is as follows:
- Fairy Pools, Glenbrittle, Isle of Skye, Scotland
- Grasmere, Lake District, England
- City of Bath
- Durdle Door, Dorset
- Tresco, Isles of Scilly
- Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales
- Bourton-on-the-water, the Cotswolds
- Porthcurno, The Minack Theatre, Cornwall
- Cambridge and the River Cam
- Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland
- Windsor Castle, Windsor
- Abereiddi’s Blue Lagoon, Pembrokeshire, Wales
- The Dark Hedges, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
- Leeds Castle, Kent
- Llyn Padarn (Llanberis), Snowdonia, Wales
- Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
- The Falls of Bruar, Perth, Scotland
- Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland
- St Nectan’s Glen, Cornwall
- City of Oxford