From September 2018, Newport families will be among those in Wales able to claim 30 hours government-funded early education and childcare for up to 48 weeks of the year as part of the new Childcare Offer for Wales.
Eligible working parents or guardians of three and four year olds in Gaer (including Maesglas), Rogerstone, Lliswerry, Malpas, St Julian’s, Stow Hill and Shaftesbury, can now apply online at www.newport.gov.uk/childcareoffer
The Welsh Government scheme is being piloted in those wards this autumn before being rolled out across the city.
It will consist of a combination of existing early education provided by Foundation Phase which is available to all three and four-year-olds and the additional funded childcare for eligible families.
Parents have to meet the following criteria:
- Have a child aged three or four years who is able to access part-time education
- They must be resident in one of the pilot areas in Newport
- Both parents must be working in a two parent family, or the sole parent in a lone parent family, and be working 16 hours or more either employed or self-employed
- Earning the equivalent of working 16 hours at national living wage or national minimum wage
- In receipt of specific caring benefits
For further information about the scheme or to apply visit www.newport.gov.uk/childcareoffer