PureGym, which has three sites in the city including at Cardiff Gate, Stadium Plaza and another in Cardiff Bay, has introduced special measures in order to stay open.
This is despite pressure from UK and Welsh Government who issued statements this week to introduce social distancing steps.
PureGym operates a number of sites across the country and is popular for people who aren’t looking for long-term contracts and easy 24 hour access. The firm has said they are taking every step that they can to ensure the safety and wellbeing of its members and employees.
The gym operator has said they are aware of ‘a few confirmed cases’ of coronavirus at some of its gyms, although they have not published specific numbers or locations. They have said:
“We have had a few confirmed cases across our 260+ estate that have been closed for deep cleaning, in line with Public Health England (PHE) guidance. We anticipate the clubs will be reopened within 48 hours of being closed. All members, colleagues and personal trainers within these clubs have been informed. ”
In a statement emailed to members this week, a PureGym spokesperson said:
“Following the advice from UK Government to observe social distancing rules we are making additional changes within our clubs. All PureGym clubs therefore remain open but we are taking additional steps so that our members and colleagues can observe new disciplines with respect to social distancing.”
Measures introduced at PureGym
- All classes have been cancelled until further notice
- PureGym will only allow a maximum of 100 members at a time in the club. You can check the number of members in the club on the PureGym App before you visit.
- All members now have full access to any PureGym in the UK, at no additional charge.
- PureGym may reduce the opening hours of your club over the coming weeks, please check your gym homepage for the latest details. Go to the gym finder to find your gym’s homepage.
- Certain items of equipment will be temporarily removed from use, to ensure the minimum 2 metre social distance, as advised by the Government, is maintained
- Personal Trainers will continue to operate where possible, please check directly with your PT
The gym has also asked its members to stay away, if they feel unwell or show signs of the coronavirus.