After considering all the feedback from public consultations held in 2021, Merthyr County Borough Council is consulting further on revised options for the siting of the new 3-16 VA Catholic school.
The two revised options now proposed are:
Option A – Greenie, with additional open space on current Bishop Hedley High School (BHHS) phase 2. This is the previous Option 2 with the following changes made in response to the previous consultation:
- the community playground would be relocated near to the current community MUGA.
- the community changing rooms would be relocated to the Buttercup Fields next to the community grass pitch and shared 3G pitch.
- an additional green space community facility has been included on Phase 2 (Upper Site) of the current BHHS site.
- safe pedestrian route provided from the location of the Greenie playing fields to the Buttercup Fields, and new community space on the BHHS Phase 2 site.
As per the previous option, the school building with car parking and drop-off would be located on the Greenie playing fields, with both fields relocated to the Buttercup fields. One of the playing fields would be a shared school/community 3G all-weather football pitch, and the other would be open access to the community.
- Option B – Current BHHS site with school rugby pitch on one of the Buttercup Fields. This is a brand new option. The school building and primary drop-off and primary play areas located on Phase 2 of the current BHHS site, with car parking, sports hall and sports pitches on Phase 1 of the site. A school rugby pitch to be located on plateau 2 of the Buttercup Fields.
This new consultation is being undertaken in line with the Playing Fields (Community Involvement in Disposal Decisions) (Wales) Regulations 2015, and gives all stakeholders – including users of the fields, local residents, parents, pupils, staff, school governors, parishioners and other interested parties – an opportunity to comment on the updated proposals and help support a Council decision on the location of the school.
The consultation is running for 6 weeks from Thursday, 6 January to Thursday, 17 February 2022 and the consultation survey and proposal details, including site plans, can be accessed online via the following link: