Powys County Council’s new Leader, Cllr James Gibson-Watt, has today announced the membership of his new cabinet and their areas of responsibility.
Cllr Gibson-Watt, who was elected Executive Leader at the Council’s Annual General Meeting on Thursday (May 26), announced that the new Cabinet will have 11 members covering 10 portfolio areas.
The Cabinet will consist of seven Welsh Liberal Democrats and four Welsh Labour members after a progressive partnership agreement was reached by both parties.
The new Cabinet is:
- Leader and Cabinet Member for an Open and Transparent Powys: Cllr James Gibson-Watt
- Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for a Fairer Powys: Cllr Matthew Dorrance
- Cabinet Member for a More Prosperous Powys: Cllr David Selby
- Cabinet Member for Finance and Corporate Transformation: Cllr David Thomas
- Cabinet Member for a Caring Powys: Cllr Sian Cox
- Cabinet Member for a Safer Powys: Cllr Richard Church
- Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys: Cllr Pete Roberts
- Cabinet Member for a Greener Powys: Cllr Jackie Charlton
- Cabinet Member for Future Generations: Cllr Susan McNicholas / Cllr Sandra Davies (job share)
- Cabinet Member for a Connected Powys: Cllr Jake Berriman
Leader Cllr James Gibson-Watt said: “This is an historic moment for the county. The elections earlier this month saw a huge change to the composition of Powys County Council after the electorate demonstrated a desire for change.
“Although there are political differences between both parties, our progressive partnership agreement provides a firm foundation that builds a stronger, fairer and greener future for Powys.
“I’m excited for the challenges ahead and start delivering for the people of Powys.”
Deputy Leader Cllr Matthew Dorrance, added: “I’m very pleased that both parties will work together to build consensus and agreement around a shared vision for the future where our communities prosper and the Council works for families across Powys.
“We want to build a stronger, fairer and greener future for Powys and our progressive partnership agreement sets out a road map to what we want to achieve.
“The challenge is immense, but we stand ready to serve.”