My name is Rhys, a first time dad blogging about my adventures and experiences of being a parent. [email protected]

Planning application for new Ysgol Bro Hyddgen building submitted

Ysgol Bro Hyddgen

A planning application to construct a new replacement building for an all-through school in Machynlleth has been submitted, Powys County Council has announced.

Powys County Council is to build a new school for Ysgol Bro Hyddgen as part of its Transforming Education programme. The school is currently transitioning from a dual-stream school to a Welsh-medium school.

With the Maldwyn 2024 Urdd Eisteddfod just a week away, the submission of the application marks a key milestone in the project and will help the council meet its commitments in its Welsh in Education Strategic Plan and the aims of the Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys.

The new 540-place school will be built at Ysgol Bro Hyddgen’s secondary school site to replace the current primary and secondary school buildings.

The new build will be funded by the Welsh Government’s Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme, which will fund 65% of the project. The remaining 35% would be funded by the council.

When built, the replacement building will provide, flying start and early years facilities incorporated within primary school setting, secondary provision with post-16 education. Additionally incorporated are an additional learning needs centre, wellbeing provision as well as community room and all-weather pitch.

The building will have excellent environmental credentials and will be the council’s first Passivhaus All-through School building, achieving Net Zero Carbon in Operation and <600kg/CO2m2 for embodied carbon.

The new school is expected to be open to pupils in 2027.

Cllr Pete Roberts, Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys, said: “I’m delighted that the planning application for the new building for Ysgol Bro Hyddgen has been submitted.

“The new building will provide modern facilities for our pupils and teaching staff and help them to deliver an enjoyable and fulfilling education experience for everyone.

“This is an important strategic project for the council as it will help us deliver our commitments in the Welsh in Education Strategic Plan and increase the number of pupils being taught through the medium of Welsh. It will also help us meet the aims of our Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys.”