Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Bowel cancer detection rates double since lowering screening age
    Health

    Bowel cancer detection rates double since lowering screening age

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregoryOctober 30, 2025Updated:October 30, 2025No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Credit: Canva/Stock
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    This story is also available in Welsh – click here to read it.

    Reducing the screening age in Wales from 60 to 50 over the past four years has helped more than double the number of bowel cancers detected in Wales.

    Screening helps diagnose people at an earlier, and more treatable, stage.

    Since the introduction of the age expansion in 2021, bowel cancer diagnoses have increased in the screening programme from 211 in 2020-21 to 457 in 2023-24.  Annual invitations for screening have increased from 223,000 to more than 500,000.

    Bowel cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, with more than 2,000 people diagnosed every year in Wales.

    But when caught in its early stages, the cancer is treatable, curable and survival chances increase significantly.

    Bowel screening is now offered to everyone registered with a GP in Wales aged 50 to 74 years. Eligible individuals receive a test kit automatically in the post at 50-years-old (since October last year), and then every two years afterwards.

    Screening can help spot bowel cancer before symptoms start and detect polyps – noncancerous growths – which can be removed and prevent cancer from developing in the first place.

    The screening process involves an easy-to-use faecal immunochemical test (FIT), which has increased sensitivity and can better detect bowel cancer, helping to increase the screening uptake in men and women aged 50 to 74.

    Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care, Jeremy Miles, said:

    “Preventing and treating cancer is a long-term commitment for us and early detection is vital to improve cancer outcomes.

    “One year on from reducing the screening age to 50 – these results speak for themselves. Finding cancer early is hugely beneficial to our health service and can mean the difference between life and death for the individual. So I urge everyone 50-years-old and over to take full advantage of the programme.

    “We are also investing significantly and working with the NHS to ensure it has the capacity to investigate and treat more cancer cases in the long term.”

    Steve Court, Head of Programme for Bowel Screening Wales, said:

    “The lowering of the screening age has been a major step forward in the fight against bowel cancer in Wales. More people than ever before are taking advantage of the home test kit, and more cancers are being detected as a result. This means lives will be saved: 9 out of 10 people survive bowel cancer if it is caught early.

    “I strongly encourage eligible people to take part when they receive their test kit through the post. It’s free, easy-to-use and it could save your life.”

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    The Price of Waiting: How Wales’ MSK Crisis Is Costing Far More Than NHS Appointments

    May 19, 2026

    Welsh charity urges government to introduce routine prostate cancer testing

    May 19, 2026

    Groundbreaking hip pain treatment carried out for first time in Wales

    May 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Explore life at sea aboard 17th century galleon visiting Cardiff

    May 20, 2026

    Newtown Textile Museum opens for summer with Pryce Jones exhibition

    May 20, 2026

    Pembrokeshire Learning Centre celebrates opening of new library

    May 20, 2026

    Classic Car Show returns to Rhondda Heritage Park this summer

    May 20, 2026

    Caerphilly sports clubs invited to apply for winter pitch allocations

    May 20, 2026

    New £7.5m visitor hub planned for Waterfall Country as operator search begins

    May 20, 2026

    Coleg Cambria strengthens global equality partnerships with Canada visit

    May 20, 2026

    North Wales operator sees strong demand as new holiday park opens

    May 20, 2026

    North Wales estate brings round the clock farm produce access to customers

    May 20, 2026

    New wardens swap Cardiff for off grid life on Bardsey Island

    May 20, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.