Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » UK’s top surfers head to North Wales for spectacular inland tournament
    Editor's Picks

    UK’s top surfers head to North Wales for spectacular inland tournament

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregorySeptember 13, 2018No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    34 of the UK’s best surf athletes will be heading to Surf Snowdonia in North Wales this weekend to compete in its unique one-day inland competition: the Surf Snowdonia Pro Surf Challenge.

     

    [aoa id=”1″]

    The Surf Snowdonia event, which is now in its third year, will take place on Sunday September 16th, 2018.

    The UK Pro Surf Association (UKPSA), organisers of the UK Pro Surf Tour and Europe’s only pro surf competition event to take place inland, has also announced it will introduce equal prize money for male and female competitors from 2019.

    David Reed, director of the UKPSA said:

     

    [/aoa]“We’re delighted to make our milestone announcement about equality as we head to what is one of the event highlights of our year at Surf Snowdonia.

    “Surfing has clearly reached a point where it needs equality in how we reward our athletes. Our decision to offer equal prize money across male and female divisions represents our commitment to all surfers, regardless of their gender.”

    The UKPSA’s announcement comes in the same week that the World Surf League announced gender parity when it comes to competition prize money.

    Andy Ainscough, managing director of Surf Snowdonia said:

    “The UK Pro Surf and World Surf League’s announcements about equal prize money are something we applaud and endorse one hundred percent. Surf Snowdonia is totally committed to equal opportunity regardless of gender – it’s what inspired our Girls on Board initiative and the Women in Sport Conferencewhich we hosted in partnership with the Network She Foundation earlier this year.

    “Our surf community is a great example to the world, and we hope sports organisations around the globe will sit up, take notice and take appropriate action of their own.”

    The Surf Snowdonia UK Pro Surf Challenge will get underway at 8:00am on Sunday 16th September 2018 and is set to draw a large family crowd for a day of intense but friendly knock-out competition. The world-first inland lagoon offers a unique opportunity for surf fans to get up close to their heroes and see exactly what is happening on the waves.

    Head of Surf Snowdonia’s surf academy, multiple Welsh Champion and former Surf Snowdonia Pro Surf Champion Jo Dennison will be competing. Jo is currently top of the UKPSA’s women’s open leader board. Surf Snowdonia instructor Zac Pierce gets a wildcard to join the competition.

    Parking and entry to watch the event, which has been sponsored by Conwy County Borough Council, will be free of charge. There will be indoor as well as outdoor seated and standing viewing areas, and free parking on site. Refreshments and snacks will be available all day at the Surf Snowdonia restaurant, deli and bar.

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Cardiff Food and Drink Festival 2026 dates confirmed as countdown begins

    May 22, 2026

    VAT cut to make family attractions and restaurants cheaper this summer

    May 22, 2026

    You may be able to book a driverless taxi in the UK later this year

    May 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Cardiff Splash Pad reopens just in time for May half term heatwave

    May 23, 2026

    Drivers warned of delays on M4 as half term travel ramps up in Wales

    May 23, 2026

    Cardiff Food and Drink Festival 2026 dates confirmed as countdown begins

    May 22, 2026

    Cardiff Council appoints Chris Weaver as new Leader

    May 22, 2026

    Adam Price says “Wales means business” at first major speech as minister

    May 22, 2026

    VAT cut to make family attractions and restaurants cheaper this summer

    May 22, 2026

    You may be able to book a driverless taxi in the UK later this year

    May 22, 2026

    Multi-million pound boost approved for Elan Valley tourism project

    May 22, 2026

    New elective care hubs planned as Wales battles NHS waiting times

    May 22, 2026

    First Minister promises stronger voice for workers in Wales

    May 22, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.