Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wales 247
    • Cymru
    • FindMyTown
      • South East Wales
      • South West Wales
      • Mid & West Wales
      • North East Wales
      • North West Wales
    • Business
    • Education
    • What’s On
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    • Senedd 2026
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    • Charity
    • Motoring
    • Got a story?
    • Advertise
    • Property
    • Cornered
    • Life
    Wales 247
    Home » Woodland to be created in memory of those who died of coronavirus
    Editor's Picks

    Woodland to be created in memory of those who died of coronavirus

    Rhys GregoryBy Rhys GregoryMarch 16, 2021No Comments
    Share Facebook Twitter Copy Link LinkedIn Email WhatsApp
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    First Minister Mark Drakeford has announced the creation of commemorative woodlands in memory of those who have died from coronavirus.

    Two new woodlands will be planted – one in north Wales and one in south Wales – as a symbol of Wales’ resilience during the pandemic and one of regeneration and renewal as the new woodlands grow. It is hoped they will be places of commemoration where families and friends can remember lost loved ones. The woodlands will also be locations where the public will be able to reflect on the pandemic and the huge impact it has had on all our lives.

    The woodlands will be planted with a range of tree species, making them resilient to a changing environment; a fitting symbol of the strength the people of Wales have shown over the past year.

    The First Minister said: “Today, we mark a deeply sad anniversary as we remember the first person in Wales to die from coronavirus.

    “Since that day too many people have been taken too soon. We remember them today and keep them in our hearts and our minds.

    “Today I am announcing the creation of two commemorative woodlands – one in north Wales and one in south Wales – as permanent living memorials to all those who have died.

    “These woodlands will grow into natural spaces of reflection, where families and others can come to remember all those we have lost.

    “The pandemic has cast a long shadow on all our lives over the last year, but we can also look to the future with hope.”

    The locations of the two sites will be announced shortly and Natural Resources Wales will engage with local communities to plan and design the woodlands.

    Clare Pillman, CEO Natural Resources Wales said: “Our woodlands play a vital role in our environment and communities and are powerful, poignant symbols of life and memory.

    “The new commemorative woodlands will provide a living, growing memorial that will honour the memory of all of those who have sadly lost their lives to coronavirus.

    “In addition to being a symbolic representation of Wales’ resilience during the pandemic, the woodlands will also provide a safe, quiet and accessible place where families can come to visit and remember their loved ones.”

    The First Minister also announced there will be a National Coronavirus Commemorative Event broadcast on BBC One Wales and S4C at 5pm on the 23rd of March.

    Coronavirus
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter) Follow on LinkedIn
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar photo
    Rhys Gregory
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Editor of Wales247.co.uk

    Related Posts

    Cardiff celebrates record-breaking summer of live music

    August 17, 2026

    Wales and Japan Strengthen Agri-Tech and Food Production Ties

    August 17, 2026

    Rail replacement buses planned as TfW faces train shortage

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest News in Wales

    Cardiff celebrates record-breaking summer of live music

    August 17, 2026

    Dispersal order imposed at Cosmeston Country Park over dangerous behaviour

    August 17, 2026

    Bonnie Tyler remembered as fans line streets for final journey

    August 17, 2026

    Newport Food Festival to return with more than 70 stalls

    August 17, 2026

    Hospitality VAT goes back to 20% on 2 September. Welsh operators have three weeks

    August 17, 2026

    Mobile Tyre Fitting Sees Rising Demand as Drivers Avoid Garage Queues

    August 17, 2026

    Cardiff McDonald’s reopens following major redesign

    August 17, 2026

    Applications Open for the Caru Ceredigion Awards 2026

    August 17, 2026

    New Rules Will Make Subscriptions Easier to Cancel from January 2027

    August 17, 2026

    Wales and Japan Strengthen Agri-Tech and Food Production Ties

    August 17, 2026
    Follow 247
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • LinkedIn

    247 Newsletter

    Sign up to get the latest hand-picked news and stories from across Wales, covering business, politics, lifestyle and more.

    Wales247 provides around the clock access to business, education, health and community news through its independent news platform.

    Email us: [email protected]
    Contact: 02922 805945

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn RSS
    More
    • What’s On Wales
    • Community
    • Education
    • Health
    • Charity
    • Cardiff
    • Swansea
    Wales Business
    • Business News
    • Awards
    • Community
    • Events
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Start-ups
    • Home
    • About
    • Advertise
    • Picture Desk
    • Privacy
    • Corrections
    • Contact
    © 2026 Wales 247.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.