Nearly 1,300 sites were identified as unsafe by Gas Safe Register’s inspections team last summer due to dangerous gas appliances being found, 18% higher than the number of unsafe sites recorded in winter months. Despite these findings, a survey of more than 2,000 UK adults found that one in five (19%) would only consider getting their gas appliances checked if they stopped working.
Unsafe gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and resulted in 201 call outs from the fire and rescue services last year. To keep the nation gas safe this summer, Gas Safe Register is calling for people to get their gas appliances safety checked by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer if it’s been a year or more since they were last looked at.
The cities where the most unsafe gas appliances were found last summer are:
- London (277)
- Birmingham (89)
- Coventry (45)
- Cardiff (41)
- Newcastle (38)
- Manchester (34)
- Sheffield (34)
- Norwich (33)
- Edinburgh (26)
- Nottingham (24)
Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: “The sun may be shining but that doesn’t mean that checking your gas appliances can be left until later in the year when you may be cranking up your heating. Our inspections data shows that it doesn’t matter what time of year it is, your gas appliance could still put your health and home at risk if it’s not been safety checked recently. It’s important that gas appliances are checked regularly, we recommend on an annual basis so that you can have peace of mind that they are working safely and efficiently whilst making the most of the Great British summer.
People are five times more likely to worry about the weather being too hot this summer (32%) than carbon monoxide poisoning (6%) with allergies and hay fever (25%) and sunburn (20%) also high up on the nation’s list of summer concerns.
To keep you and your family gas safe this summer, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way..
Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers. To find or check a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. On social media, search @GasSafeRegister and #DontCutCorners.